The history of Apopka Florida begins in 7500 B.C., when Native Americans first lived on the shores of Lake Apopka. In the early 19th century there was a Seminole village on Lake Apopka. Apopka comes from the Seminole word Ahapopka meaning “potato eating place”.
New Apopka Settlers of the 1800s
In 1842, the Armed Occupation Act brought new settlers to the Apopka area. The climate and the agricultural opportunities in Apopka attracted developers and settlers, and the town became an important trading center in Northwest Orange County in the 1850s.
Among those new settlers were the Masons. In 1857, the Masons organized the Orange Lodge No. 36 and The Lodge building was completed in 1859. It was around this building that the town became known as the “The Lodge” as the town grew in the 1860s and 1870s. Today, the Orange Lodge No. 36 is still the oldest running lodge in the State of Florida and is located on its original site at Alabama Avenue and Highway 441.
Town of Apopka City
The City of Apopka was later incorporated in 1882 as the “Town of Apopka City” which it remained until its official name change in the early 1900s. For the next 100 years, Apopka was referred to as the “Indoor Foliage Capital of the World” due to the extensive greenhouse nurseries located within the city. Many of these nurseries remain today.
A Flourishing Community
The City of Apopka became a rapidly growing community and began to expand in all directions. Due to access to railroad and aviation located in Apopka, this area has become a sought after location for many industries, to include, manufacturing, healthcare, tech, construction, and industrial distribution.
With 27,000 acres of beautiful parks and recreation, and 394 miles of bike and walking trails, people of all ages love to visit and take advantage of Apopka’s natural resources and eco-tourism.
The community is located only a few miles from popular travel destinations, such as Disney World, Universal Studios, and Gatorland. Making it a wonderful place to visit and live.
Much of the new growth in Apopka can be attributed to The John Land Apopka Expressway (Toll 414) which opened on May 15, 2009.